2030 blockchain bootstrapper challenge
We are here to help you succeed. We don’t believe in accelerators, business plans, angels, venture capital, milestones, funding rounds, or board meetings. We don’t even believe in start-ups. We believe in customers. We believe in marketing experiments that help you find customers. We believe that to reduce risk, you must sell first and build second. We want to support entrepreneurs in doing that. We don’t do long-shots. We do short shots.
If you have read the work of Steve Blank, Eric Reis, or Brad Feld, you know that being an entrepreneur means getting out and selling your product, even before you have made it. Talk with customers. Pretotype before you prototype. Find the need and fill it. Pivot continuously, so you don’t have to pivot hard later.
The number two reason start-ups go out of business is that they fail to make the sale. We support you in making the sale first. If you can find a need and sell a solution, we can keep iterating the solution and making it better. Sales solves a lot of problems. Therefore, we are looking for true entrepreneurs — people who are willing to do whatever it takes to build a profitable business, including knocking on customer doors and working with them. We know it’s hard. But if you’re that person, you have found the right web page.
The 2030 Ecosystem
We plan to build a single company to support our movement: we will have many projects and include thousands of people worldwide. Most projects will fail, and that’s okay. Come back and try again. Our goal is to provide all the infrastructure you need to focus on customers and make the sale.
We are raising money now. We want to provide the funding for many projects and support the successful projects to profitability. Within 18 months, we plan to have a crowdsale and offer our shares to anyone who can legally buy them. Until then, you can earn our equity tokens by doing projects.
The Bootstrapper Challenge
We are looking for marketers who can do fast experiments to show market traction. Here’s how it works:
- Do an experiment to show you can sell something to someone. This product should be based on a blockchain or similar decentralized technology. We are looking for a first customer. It’s fine to pretotype or prototype or hack something together quickly. We want to see you focus on the sales process, not the product. Two examples are below.
- If we like your project, we’ll support you with cash and our equity tokens. You’ll get just enough cash to come work with us in London for three months, and you’ll get enough equity tokens to be worth quite a lot when we go public. We plan to give away ten percent of our stock to these early projects.
- If it goes well, we’ll hire you and your team to be part of 2030. You can work anywhere you like — you can help us open an innovation center in another city. But you must be willing to come work with us in London for the first three months.
We can provide the technology. We’re looking for people who know the market, know the customer, and can do experiments to find what customers are willing to pay for. You can read more about this in David Siegel’s 2011 essay. You should also read his 2015 essay on venture capital. You should also learn everything you can about pretotyping — we hope it will inspire you to try some things as cheaply as possible. Search and learn online about pretotyping, and join our online community to learn more.
Here are two examples:
- We are connected to a fantastic team building parametric insurance solutions. They built a smart contract for the Ethereum blockchain, the world’s first commercial insurance contract on any blockchain. It was an experiment, a payoff contract to pay people if their flights were canceled. For this project, the team raised 20,000 euros and ran the contract for three weeks. At the end, they gave the 20,000 euros back (minus 10 euros). You can read our lessons learned and a summary of the project. This project cost essentially nothing and got the team many meetings with insurance companies and now a contract to develop a system. This is bootstrapping. We hope to give this group more money and they will become our insurance division.
- Our financial-products team looked at the cryptocurrency indexes, designed a better one, and sold $60k of it to friends. Again, this hardly cost any money — we took $60k and will give people back $60k worth of the top-50 cryptocurrencies. We are looking for more pre-customers for this product. We expect to launch it in February, 2017. We hope to launch many more indexes and other blockchain-based investment products.
These two bootstrap examples show that you can do a lot with a good idea and a short burst of determined, hard work. Yes, we had to reach out to friends for cash, but note that in both cases the cash was investment money, which we either gave or will give back, and we built the product for free.
How to Apply
Do you have a killer idea for a decentralized product, service, or API? Do you have a plan for doing an experiment? Then go do it! We would like to see the results of experiments, not the plans. We would like to see a short summary and a short financial projection on how you think it will play out.
Want to work on hatching it? Just come to our online community and meet people and start contributing and talking there. Build your team, get help from others, and launch your experiment. Then tell us about it. We want to make the process easy, so please engage with us in the forums and let's do it together.